Also called beekeeper’s honey, raw honey, or pure honey, local honey is less processed and filtered -- creating a product that maintains its vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that tastes great and is good for you.
Even better: Living in the central NC region means we have an abundance of options for buying local honey -- and none of them are the grocery store. Our area has a few "high-hobby, borderline commercial volume" beekeepers," says Charles Fleming, president of the Harnett County Beekeepers' Association.
But, note: Locally grown honey is somewhat seasonal and it’s a fast seller. Get it while the getting's good, Fleming says. Honey season is approaching
Next time you need a hit of the sweet stuff, turn to these sources instead:
- James Graves: Broadway NC, 919-770-9785
- Campbell Bee Farm: Sanford NC, 919-478-0412 (Facebook, email)
- Spivey Farms: 285 McCormick Road, Sanford NC, 919-499-0807 (website, Facebook)
- Jackson Brothers Produce: 2424 Jefferson Davis Hwy, Sanford NC, 919-776-6632 (website, email)
- Carolina Artists' Colony: 148 S. Moore Street, Sanford NC (Facebook)
- Click here to see our list of local farms and markets where local honey might be sold.
- Tommy Patrick: 910-237-1594 (email)
- Don Ferrara: 910-797-4561 (email)
- Click here to learn more about the Harnett County Beekeepers' Association.
Have we missed a local honey hot spot? Send it in so that we can add it to the list.