Remember to check back during the week and watch the SocialSanford Facebook page for events or updates that weren’t submitted in time for the Social Buzz. Specifically, use the hashtags #socialsanfordjobs and #socialsanfordgiveaways on Facebook for job/giveaway updates.
Things to do in Sanford/Lee County this week:
- Solar Eclipse Party at Lee County Library, 107 Hawkins Ave, Sanford NC
What: Make a pinhole viewer (bring your own cereal box), learn more about eclipses in history, and watch the eclipse. A few solar glasses will be available to borrow.
- Eclipse Viewing at Raven Rock State Park, 3009 Raven Rock Rd, Lillington NC
What: Park rangers will offer glasses on a first-come first-served basis. They’ll also offer safe viewing options for those without glasses. Bring a lawn chair or blanket to set up behind the Visitor Center.
- Eclipse Party at CCCC-Lee Campus, 1105 Kelly Dr, Sanford NC
What: The college will offer refreshments for eclipse viewers inside the courtyard beside the Bell Welcome Center. Solar eclipse glasses will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Monday Night Music Jam at Circle M City, 74 Cowboy Ln, Sanford NC
What: Music will be in the Livery Stable. There is no admission fee. All are welcome.
- Lee County Community Orchestra Rehearsal at Lee County High School, 1708 Nash Street, Sanford NC
What: The orchestra will hold its first rehearsal of the 2017-18 season. Musicians of high school age and older are welcome to be a part of their ensemble. Rehearsals are held in the Fine Arts building.
- Meeting of the Lee County Genealogical & Historical Society at the Lee County Library, 107 Hawkins Ave, Sanford NC
What: This month’s topic is “What’s in your attic?” Bring a painting “from your attic” that has sentimental or historical significance, or that has interesting subject matter, to share. The meeting will be in the auditorium and is open to all.
- Sanford Jobseekers at First Baptist Church, 202 Summit Dr, Sanford NC
What: Join a group of like-minded job seekers who want to support one another during transition. Everyone is welcome. Call 919-776-6137 for more information.
- Thursday Hike at Raven Rock State Park, 3009 Raven Rock Rd, Lillington NC
What: Join park staff every week to hike 3-6 miles on trails that can be flat, hilly and include steps. Plan to stop during the hike to observe wildlife, enjoy environmental educational moments, and listen to the natural world. For ages 12 and up. Call the visitor center at 910-893-4888 x0 for additional information and meeting location.
- Free Eye Screening at Piggly Wiggly, 301 N. Main St, Broadway NC
What: Screenings are free and you do not need a reservation.
- POSTPONED: Vino & Van Gogh at the ArtStudio, 102 S. Steele Street #401, Sanford NC
What: Paint summer veggies in the style of Van Gogh. The cost is $45, which includes supplies and guided instruction. Snacks will be provided, but bring your own wine. You must RSVP to via email.
- ‘Function at the Junction’ in Depot Park, 106 Charlotte Ave, Sanford NC
What: Faith Bardill and the Back Row Saints will perform as part of the summer concert series.
- Ribbon Cutting at US Cellular, 3274 NC Hwy 87S, Sanford NC
What: Join the Sanford Area Chamber of Commerce to celebrate US Cellular’s newly remodeled location.
- Country Cool Comedy Tour at the Temple Theatre, 120 Carthage St, Sanford NC
What: Trish Suhr, Karen Mills and Leanne Morgan channel their southern roots for a comedy with a no-nonsense approach full of charm and style. Doors open at 6:30p. Reserved seating starts $25. Call 919-774-4155 or visit templeshows.com for tickets.
- Free Movie at Aberdeen Town Lake, 301 Lake Park Crossing, Aberdeen NC
What: See the movie Happy Gilmore, sponsored by Railhouse Brewery. There will be yard games and concessions available for purchase, including Railhouse beer.
- Live Music at The Smoke and Barrel, 120 S. Steele St, Sanford NC
What: Abe Reid and the Spikedrivers will play. There is no cover charge.