Welcome to the first weekly SocialSanford Social Buzz post of events and activities happening in Sanford/Lee County NC. Once a daily email, the Social Buzz will now arrive weekly with a look at the week ahead.
If an item for the week is submitted after the Social Buzz has been sent, the item may wind up on the SocialSanford Facebook page and will be added to the Events Calendar, so make sure you interact in those places. Look for jobs postings at #socialsanfordjobs.
Highlights for the week of May 23-26
- Sanford Aquatics Club is now registering for June swim classes, which will be taught at the Sanford Nautilus on Mondays and Wednesdays for ages 4-7 and Tuesdays and Thursdays for ages 8-12. Contact the group at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-895-2081 for pricing and registration.
- Several employers are conducting on-site interviews at NC Career Works Sanford on Thursday starting at 10a. You must register at ncworks.gov to participate.
- Story Time at Millstone Creek Orchards, 506 Parks Crossroads Church Rd, Ramseur NC
What: This 1-hour program will include a story, a fruit tasting, a hayride and a seed planting to take home. The cost is $8. Cupcakes will be served at this story time.
- EMS Appreciation Day at Alpaca Peruvian Charcoal Chicken, 813 S Horner Blvd, Sanford NC
What: EMS personnel will receive 50% off a personal meal all day. Personal meals are 1/4 or 1/2 chicken combos or made-to-order plates. You must provide proof of employment to receive the promotion.
- County Commissioners Meeting at Lee County Government Center, 106 Hillcrest Dr, Sanford NC
What: Commissioners will hold a budget work session.
- Toastmasters International at CCCC-Lee County, 1105 Kelly Dr, Sanford NC
What: Toastmasters International helps people reach their public speaking and leadership goals. The Central Carolina Club is open to the public and students.
- Girls Night Out at Chick-Fil-A, 3224 NC-87, Sanford NC
What: The restaurant will hold special mother/daughter event with pampering and bonding for all ages.
- City Council Meeting at City Hall, 225 E. Weatherspoon St, Sanford NC
What: Council members will hold a budget work session and discuss the Federal Building.
- EnvironmentaLEE at Mt. Calvary Church, 1713 Colon Rd, Sanford NC
What: EnvironmentaLEE will hold a meeting starting at 7p. View the meeting agenda here.
- Produce Sale at Central Carolina Hospital, 1135 Carthage St, Sanford NC
What: Purchase fresh, local produce to benefit the CCH Auxiliary. The sale will be at the Visitor’s Entrance.
- Sanford Jobseekers at First Baptist Church, 202 Summit Dr, Sanford NC
What: Whether you are a jobseeker or trying to help and support job seekers. Join a group of like-minded job seekers who want to support one another during transition. Everyone is welcome. Call 919-776-6137 for more information.
- Story Hour at Karma Boutique & Coffee Bar, 131 Wicker St, Sanford NC
What: Children are invited to read stories, sing songs, do crafts and enjoy each other’s company. Story hour is open to all ages.
- Frog Watch USA Training at Raven Rock State Park, 3009 Raven Rock Rd, Lillington NC
What: Learn frog and toad calls at Raven Rock. This training will enable you, once passing the written and vocalization quiz, to become a certified Frog Watch volunteer for monitoring frogs and toads in your area. For more information call the park office at 910-893-4888 x 0. Pre-registration is required and children must be over 12 years old and accompanied by an adult. Space is limited.
- Hike For Your Health at Raven Rock, 3009 Raven Rock Rd, Lillington NC
What: Join a park ranger for a weekly hike of varying lengths. Call the park office for additional information 910-893-4888.
- Backyard Beekeeping at the Lee County Library, 107 Hawkins Ave, Sanford NC
What: Local beekeeper, Mack Wicker, will give a presentation on the basics of getting started in backyard beekeeping.
- Function at the Junction at Depot Park, 106 Charlotte Ave, Sanford NC
What: Gasoline Stove Band will perform for Downtown Sanford’s free summer concert series.
- National Night Out Coordinators’ Meeting at City Hall, 225 E. Weatherspoon St, Sanford NC
What: Learn more about coordinating a National Night Out event for your neighborhood. This year, National Night Out will be August 2.